The venue for our 2016 Honey Show was held at the Otford Village Hall on Saturday 17th September. Staging took place from 9.30 to 10.30 a.m and judging was from 10.30 a,m.
Below is a pdf document of photographs of some of the entries in our 2016 show.
The Honey Judge's Steward, Sarah Rapley reports: We had a good turnout for the annual honey show with nine entrants and 64 entries across the range of classes. John Chapman, was our judge for this year and these are some of his comments:.
- The entries were of a good standard and quality.
- One honey entry was in the wrong class
- He instantly disqualified a cut comb entry because it did not achieve the proper weight .
- He really enjoyed the flavour of all of the Kent honey - some were really difficult to rank against one another.
- All 3 frames of honeycomb were good.
- Submission of framed honeycomb can be any age of frame, however, the fresher the frame, and more recently filled it is, then the whiter the cappings due to the air underneath the wax
- Local shows have a slightly more lenient judging than the National Honey Show entries, however, the standards required by the National Honey Show should always be bourne in mind
- The wax classes in particular took patience, and he had utmost respect for those people preparing entries - in particular the 6 x 1oz blocks.
The honey show results were: Points
Paul Abbott 83
Cliff & Pauline Hayward 44
Sarah Rapley 30
Richard Rose 29
John Farrow 25
Philip Runacres 18
Rosie Rapley 13
Annette Runacres 11
David Davis 11
Trophies for 2016 to the following:
Captain Turner Cup Paul Abbot
Inglis Mason Cup Paul Abbott
Wilby Cup Philip Runacres
Bradbury Cup Paul Abbott
Jenner Rose Bowl Annette Runacres
Carter Cup David Davis
Hart Cup David Davis
Crowther Shield Sarah Rapley
Overall Points Winner
Sloane Challenge Cup Paul Abbott